Friday, December 12, 2014

Teacher's gift bag

It's been pretty crazy here the last week or so as the school year comes to end for my boys.
There have been end of year class parties to bake for and errands to run and appointments to be squeezed in before I have the boys home full time for six weeks. All this has left me little time to be creative.

I did need to whip up something for the teacher's gifts though. I only got them boxes of chocolates this year and I felt I needed to personalise the gift a little by making a nice bag to put them in.

I only needed a simple Tote but I wanted to use the furnishing remnant that I picked up from Spotlight so I teamed it up with some black cotton and lined the tote with Red to give it a pop of colour.

I love that these Totes are so quick and easy to whip up. I didn't add a zip or any velcro this time as I really just wanted to keep it quick and simple.

I also decided not to use any interfacing this time but I did reinforce the bottom of the bags.

I actually quite like this furnishing fabric on the bag, might have to make myself one of these but I will add some interfacing so that the bag will hold it's shape better.

Thank you for stopping by my little blog today :o)

Please leave a comment and a link back to you and I will pop on over and say Hi.

I will enter this Tote in to the following linky parties:

Michelle :o)

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Feeling organised now

I've been playing around with some remnants I picked up from Spotlight this week and some more of the Doona cover that I am up cycling.

Not sure what kind of fabric it is (pictured below) but when I saw it in the remnants bin I thought that it would be great to use as a cover for the second hand sewing cabinet I picked up. The cabinet is in brand new condition but does not go with the rest of the furniture in my house. Turns out that there wasn't quiet enough of this fabric to cover the cabinet so I thought I would see if I could do something else with it instead. I also picked up a 55cm  x 250cm piece of black quilting cotton for $1.20 which seemed like a really good score.

I have been wanting to make myself a little organiser to go in my handbag so I had a little play around with a simple design to hold a small spiral bound note pad, a pen and some business cards.

I found the silver fabric a bit tricky to work with as it is quite slippery and frays really badly.

But i did manage to create a little organiser that was pretty much what I had in mind.

 I made a couple of mistakes in the design, like that the velcro tab wasn't long enough so I had to stitch a bit of extra fabric to it to lengthen it. So I thought I would have another go with some of the fabric from the Doona cover I am up cycling.

The second organiser worked out better but the denim did become too thick and made it hard going in places.

I might have another go with out the denim next time. Practice makes perfect they say :o)

I am entering my organiser in to the following linky parties:

I'm off now to have a look around blog land for some more inspiration. I

Thank you for stopping by and for your lovely words of encouragement.

Michelle :o)