Thursday, December 4, 2014

Feeling organised now

I've been playing around with some remnants I picked up from Spotlight this week and some more of the Doona cover that I am up cycling.


Not sure what kind of fabric it is (pictured below) but when I saw it in the remnants bin I thought that it would be great to use as a cover for the second hand sewing cabinet I picked up. The cabinet is in brand new condition but does not go with the rest of the furniture in my house. Turns out that there wasn't quiet enough of this fabric to cover the cabinet so I thought I would see if I could do something else with it instead. I also picked up a 55cm  x 250cm piece of black quilting cotton for $1.20 which seemed like a really good score.


I have been wanting to make myself a little organiser to go in my handbag so I had a little play around with a simple design to hold a small spiral bound note pad, a pen and some business cards.


I found the silver fabric a bit tricky to work with as it is quite slippery and frays really badly.

But i did manage to create a little organiser that was pretty much what I had in mind.




 I made a couple of mistakes in the design, like that the velcro tab wasn't long enough so I had to stitch a bit of extra fabric to it to lengthen it. So I thought I would have another go with some of the fabric from the Doona cover I am up cycling.










The second organiser worked out better but the denim did become too thick and made it hard going in places.

I might have another go with out the denim next time. Practice makes perfect they say :o)

I am entering my organiser in to the following linky parties:


I'm off now to have a look around blog land for some more inspiration. I

Thank you for stopping by and for your lovely words of encouragement.

Michelle :o)




10 comments:

  1. hi Michelle fabulous , handy organizer .I can see ideas for Christmas pressies here .
    love hugs Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, they are very quick and easy to make so they would be a great gift idea.

      Delete
  2. Great little organiser Michelle! You're definitely a natural at sewing and matching up those fabrics too! Beautiful combination with the denim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jill, that means a lot coming from you! I have been inspired by your creations for years :o)

      Delete
  3. I always love keeping a notepad in my purse, but it tends to get battered. This will solve that problem. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Baye. I think what I really need to make is an organiser for my handbag with different sized compartments then I wouldn't lose everything down the bottom of my bag. :o)

      Delete
  4. The black quilting cotton was a bargain! Both organisers look fabulous, but my favourite is the denim + doona cover - great combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I think I have become obsessed with checking the remnants bin at Spotlight, :o)

      Delete
  5. Look at you and your jumping in at the deep end....feet first lol WTG Michelle...looks great...have been thinking of what to use as a diary cover for next year, and I might just have to make something similar to this....I love how your organizer is tri-fold...will let you know if I manage to do it....wish me luck, I'm going in lol

    Hugs
    Nomes aka Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nomes! I think I just love creating and I have a bit of a stubborn streak where I become determined to just work stuff out for myself, but that is half the fun! I would love to see your diary cover if you get it made. :o)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping my little blog. I really appreciate your comments and if you leave a link back to your blog I would love to come visit you too.